Friday, December 29, 2023

What To Do When You Are Not Getting Enough Sleep

Raise your hand if are getting enough sleep! Crickets right? I figured! The truth is most people do not get nearly enough sleep. Myself included.


Backstory:

I am 50 years old and am going through something that I don't like to talk about....the dreaded menopause. Believe when I tell you that it had affected my sleep. There are times that I go to bed early, only to wake up a few hours later staring up at the ceiling because I just cannot get back to sleep. There are times that I am up until 4am, only to wake at 7am to start my day. It's been a rough couple of years. But I am making  it through this tough time.

Because of my lack of sleep I decided to research ways in which I can get more sleep. Here's what I have found to be the most helpful:


What To Do When You Aren't Getting Enough Sleep

In my research I have found that taking a catnap in the early afternoon will make for some of the sleep that is lost at night. They key is to make the catnap brief, by doing this it will improve your alertness, performance, and mood. The short afternoon nap can make up for the loss of one hour of nighttime sleep.

1. Do not nap after dark 

This can trick the body clock into thinking we're down for the night, making it harder to shake off the sleepiness when we wake up. This is somewhat challenging in the short days of December, especially for those who in are a place like Seattle, where the sunset can come as early as 4:18 p.m. 

2. Power up your power nap

Try drinking your post-lunch espresso immediately before you're scheduled to nap. A nap can help clear the brain of the sleep-inducing compound adenosine and gives the coffee just enough time to kick in.

3. Don't over indulge

As most of us know from experience, 10 to 20 minutes hits the sweet spot. Research shows that hat anything longer can put us into the deeper stages of REM sleep—that's when we wake up with a bad case of "sleep inertia," the clinical term for that groggy, where-am-I? sense that makes us feel even worse than we did before we closed our eyes. So, this means that severely sleep deprived may only want limit naptime to only 10 sweet minutes. 

4. Give in to an early bedtime
On those nights when we can barely keep our eyes open it is important to try and go to bed an earlier. A consistent bedtime is important to feeling well-rested, so tuck in early if you must, but don't even think of touching that snooze button. 

What are some tips that you might have to get enough sleep?



 

No comments:

Post a Comment